Often it is tempting to share our food with the family pet, and most of us are guilty of slipping the odd tasty morsel. However, as a responsible pet owner, it is strongly advised you check out the following list which contains some common human foods which are either poisonous or have the potential to be dangerous to your pet that your cat and dog can not eat.
Alcohol contains ethanol, which is extremely toxic to dogs and cats. It will cause intoxication, gastrointestinal irritation, respiratory distress, coma and death. Just 2-3 teaspoons of a beverage with a high concentration of alcohol, such as whisky, is enough to cause a coma or even death to a pet, which cat and dog can not eat.
Apricot, cherry, peach pits, apple seeds
All of the above contain cyanogenic glycosides which will induce cyanide poisoning. This interferes with the ability of the blood to release oxygen into the tissues, so the pet effectively suffocates while it’s blood is full of oxygen.
Avocado contains a toxin known as persin, which cat and dog can not eat. It is found in all parts of the avocado and is toxic to most domestic animals. The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart and even death.
Chocolate, Coffee and Tea
Chocolate contains naturally occurring methylxanthines caffeine and theobromine. The concentration of theobromine is much higher than that of caffeine, but both cause toxicity in cats (and dogs). These chemicals act as a diuretic, causing the body to lose fluids, act as a cardiac stimulant, causing it to race and is also a central nervous system stimulant.All types of chocolate should be avoided, including dark, milk, white and cocoa powders.
Onions, Garlic and Various Onion-like Vegetables
Onions contain N-propyl disulfide that can destroy cat red blood cells and can cause a fatal anemia. Therefore, all forms of onions, including processed seasonings, are toxic to cats and dogs, and onions also contain large amounts of this substance. The content of similar substances contained in garlic is relatively small. Do not consume it for a long time or in large quantities.
Green Tomatoes and Raw Potatoes
Solanaceae plants and their branches and leaves contain glycoalkaloids, which can interfere with nerve signal transmission diseases and stimulate the intestinal mucosa, resulting in severe discomfort in the lower digestive tract of cats and dogs and even gastrointestinal bleeding. Raw potatoes and their skins, leaves and stems are also toxic. After the potatoes are cooked, the alkaloids are destroyed and can be eaten safely.
Grapes and raisins
These have been known to cause kidney damage, which cat and dog can not eat and don’t feed your pet with it.
Many nuts are too high in phosphorus to be eaten; walnuts are toxic to cats and dogs; macadamia nuts contain unknown toxins that can affect the dog’s nervous system and digestive system, causing muscle twitching and atrophy.
There are many types of mushrooms which are poisonous. While dogs are far more likely to eat mushrooms than cats, it is advised you avoid giving your cats any type of mushrooms to be on the safe side.
Contains avidin, which reduces the absorption and utilization of vitamin B. Long-term consumption can easily cause skin and fur problems. When eating raw yolks, pay attention to the quality of eggs and beware of salmonella.
Large quantities of salt can lead to an electrolyte imbalance.
Contains a small amount of calcium oxalate, which can cause urinary calculi in cats and dogs, and cats and dogs with urinary problems or kidney diseases should never be fed.
This can expand in the stomach causing bloating and discomfort. In addition, yeast is often added to our baking products to help make bread rise, and when yeast is fermented it produces both carbon dioxide and alcohol, which might be absorbed into the bloodstream and cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature. Common clinical signs include vomiting or retching, distension of the stomach, weakness and collapse.
Excessive intake can cause Steatitis (caused by excess fatty acids in the diet and insufficient vitamin E). Eating in small amounts is not a problem.
With this list in mind, go forth and enjoy your favorite foods, but remember which foods you should avoid sharing with your furry family members. If you have any doubt about food whether you can give your pet, we suggest you leave a message at forum part. We will reply as soon as we can to help you better understand what you can feed your pet safely.