Dog Diarrhea is a very unspecific sign and it may be related to several diseases. Most dog owners have experienced pet dog diarrhea. There are many causes of diarrhea in dogs. For example, viruses, colds, and bad food consumption can cause diarrhea in dogs.
It ususally divided as two type: Acute diarrhea and Chronic diarrhea. Acute diarrhea is often caused by infectious agent like bacteria or viruses; While Chronic diarrhea can be caused by several factors like parasites, food allergy, problems with food absorption from intestines, which can will last more than 3-4 weeks.
But before you find the determined cause of diarrhea in dogs, do not take medicine casually. Here are a few common cases of dog diarrhea:
1. Overeat: If the dog eats too much, it will lead to indigestion of the stomach and intestines, and the stool will be soft or diarrhea. On the contrary, if the dog eats too little, the stool will be very dry and hard; Therefore, it is recommended to give the dog a regular quantitative diet, and take away the food that is not finished.
2. Eat human food: People food that is often too high in fat and salt, and may lead to dog diarrhea.
3. Sudden change of dog food: Once a dog is used to eating one kind of dog food, he will feel discomfort and diarrhea when suddenly changes another kind of dog food. Many dog parents think that dogs will feel bored when always eating one kind of food. And then parents frequently change the dog’s food, which will cause the dog diarrhea.
4. Get a Cold: When changing seasons or sudden cooling, pay attention to the warmth of your dog. The dog get a cold will cause diarrhea too. The summer is hot, and do not let the dog sleep directly on the floor. If the dog’s appetite and spirit are normal during this time, then it is diarrhea caused by cold.
5. Parasitic Infection: Puppies need to be dewormed within one month after birth, to remove parasites infected from the placenta or milk, and regular deworming in the body. If parasites breed in dogs, it will cause diarrhea and even more serious symptoms.
6. Enteritis and other diseases: If the dog suffers from enteritis, parvovirus, canine distemper and other diseases, diarrhea symptoms will also appear. This situation is often accompanied by symptoms such as vomiting, bloody stool, increased body temperature, and loss of appetite. It is necessary to send the dog to the pet hospital for treatment in time.
7. Food Poisoning: Potato sprouts, poisonous mushrooms, onions, chocolate and other foods can easily cause food poisoning. Onions can cause symptoms such as red urine in dogs, diarrhea, vomiting, and splenomegaly. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, frequent urination, hyperactivity, convulsions, coma, etc. The threat to the dog is even fatal.
Treatment of Dog Diarrhea
1. After discovering the dog’s diarrhea, fast for 1 day and observe the situation. If it is still the same as before, stop fasting and prepare for medical treatment.
2. Usually give dogs some tonic to adjust the stomach, so as to prevent dog diarrhea.
3. Play more with dogs, keep a good attitude towards dogs and prevent them from mental stress.
4. If it is due to diarrhea caused by the replacement of new food, you can first change back to the original food, and then gradually change the new food, to allow the dog a process of adaptation.
5. If diarrhea lasts for one day, and it is accompanied by vomiting, bloody stools, and diarrhea occurs in dogs under 1 year old and over 10 years old, it is best to seek veterinarian for medical treatment once these conditions occur.
Any further information about dog health problem, please click here:https://petzoo.net/forums/forum/dog/dog-health/