Nowadays, most people keep dogs to find a companion for themselves and dismiss loneliness. Therefore, the relationship between the owner and the dog will be more intimate, just like the family member. It is impossible to stay with the dog for 24 hours as we need to work at daytime. If dogs haven’t learnt to be alone and rely too much on their owners, they will easily suffer from “dog separation anxiety”.
The Symptoms of Dog Separation Anxiety
1. Sensitive to the owner’s going out: As soon as he hears the sound of the owner holding the key or opening the door, he jumps nervously and appears anxious. After the owner leaves, he still searches everywhere, or sits straight at the door and waits.
2. Destruction of things while Housekeeping: When the owner is not at home, dogs will bite the furniture, or make the ground messy, and there is a destructive behavior beyond pranks (if the same behavior happens while owner are at home, there may be other reasons, not caused by dog separation anxiety).
3. Barking when alone at home: The dog barely barks when dog owner is around, but as soon as he finds that the owner is going out, he will start barking all the time.
4. Urinating and defecating everywhere: Dog do not follow the rules when they are alone at home, and there are cases of urinating and urinating everywhere. This is likely to be dog separation anxiety. Because of the internal uneasiness, it is impossible to resist excretion.
5. Shaking when He is alone: The will tremble because of uneasiness, and the breathing will become short. If they continue to be uneasy, the dog may even have diarrhea or vomiting (but this situation may also be caused by other diseases, you should immediately ask a veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment).
6. Keep licking feet when they are alone: In order to calm emotions down, your pet may keep licking the forefoot in the same place. Because of excessive licking, pets will lose hair, and serious skin ulcers may occur (but this situation may also be caused by skin diseases, you should ask a veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment).
How to improve the dog separation anxiety?
1. Separation Slowly: In order to help the dog adapt to being alone, it should be separated from it slowly. Start by giving the dog some treats, then leave, and close the door. Reappeared in front of the dog in a few minutes. Although it was only such a short separation, the dog would still bark and jump. Doing so just for letting your dog know that even if the owner is not around, it can still live peacefully, and then gradually lengthen the time of separation until the dog can accept that he has left for an hour or two without being affected.
2. Leaving the house: After the dog can accept the owner disappearing for an hour or two, the owner can try to leave the house to see how it reacts. When training begins, it can leave the house up to 20 times a day, initially the dog will be filled with great enthusiasm, but then he seems to be too lazy to care where his owner is.
3. Don’t Hug your dog: When you are ready to go out, don’t exaggerate and hug your dog, just tell him you are going to go out, and will come back soon, let it feel that it’s not a terrible thing when you going out.
4. Give some treats to your dog: Before going out, you may wish to feed your dog some delicious snacks, especially those that are rare when they are with the owner. In this way, the dog’s expectation of deliciousness may be better than the thought of the owner. It is good if you can prepare some fake bone toys with a hole in the middle, smear peanut butter or cheese and other dog favorite things in the hole before going out, this “magic” toy can let the dog spend a few hours biting, and completely forgot where the owner went.
5. Exercise First: Before going out, you can take your dog out for some exercise. When the dog returns home, he consumes too much physical strength, and he is so tired that he just wants to sleep, and he has no energy to miss the owner.
6. Receiving training: A well-trained dog is more able to control his emotions and is also more confident. Dogs with strong self-confidence are naturally not prone to anxiety. So in your free time, you can spend some time on training it into a well-trained and excellent dog.
7. Find a companion: As a dog is a social animal, as long as you can find a companion for it, you can greatly ease its miss to the owner. Many examples show that in addition to finding another dog as a companion, the cat will also make it cheer up.
8. Communication: Whether you believe it or not, scientists agree that dogs are the best animals to understand humans. Although many animals are proven to have higher IQs than dogs, they have little understanding of human words, deeds, expressions, and emotions. But dogs can. Therefore, regular communication with it is not only necessary, but also the most effective.
In addition to the comfort of food, toys, and playmates, communication may be the easiest, most direct method, and the most equal, and the most acceptable method for dogs. Share your story with your little dog, tell your plan to it, give it encouragement and praise. This is more conducive to the emotional communication between you and your beloved dog, and it is more conducive to its physical and mental health.
Any further information about dog health, please click here:https://petzoo.net/forums/forum/dog/dog-health/