There are many oral diseases in cats, and cat periodontal disease is a relatively common one. Cat Periodontal is acute or chronic inflammation of the tissue around the cat’s teeth. Clinically, the main features are loose teeth, atrophy and deformation of tooth roots, and oral malodor.
Symptoms of Cat Periodontal Disease
1. Usually halitosis, salivation, appetite but can only eat soft food or liquid food, dare not chew the food, chewing is difficult, the food occasionally touches the lesion to produce a severe pain cry.
2. Sick cats often suddenly stop eating, severe convulsions and cramps occur, and some turn around or fall down to resist inspection.
3. Generally, molars are more susceptible. When the teeth are touched gently with tweezers at the beginning of the onset, there is often obvious pain. When the teeth are loose, the pain is relieved, and the roots are congested and swollen. If you are about to purify, gently squeeze to discharge pus.
4. The affected cat resists oral examination. During the oral examination, calculus is attached to the teeth, the teeth are loose, and the tooth heel is congested and swollen. When the device touches the affected tooth, there is obvious pain.
Causation of Cat Periodontal Disease
1. Mechanical stimulation after dental calculus.
2. Food accumulation or infection after tooth loss.
3. Improper feeding and management, lack of trace elements and vitamins in food.
4. Certain infectious diseases and chronic systemic diseases, such as calicivirus, diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism and genetic diseases.
Treatment of Cat Periodontal Disease
In the case of serious illness, in addition to washing your teeth, you must also remove the teeth with severe inflammation caused by exposed roots. The remaining teeth also need to be brushed daily to keep them clean.
1. General anesthesia and head binding are required during treatment.
2. Thoroughly remove the calculus, and remove the necrotic teeth and the teeth that have lost their function.
3. Wash the mouth with disinfectant, 0.1% potassium permanganate water or 3% boric acid water. Then apply 2% iodine glycerin or tin powder, ice boron powder. For hyperplastic granuloma of the tooth heel, it can be corroded with 10% silver nitrate.
4. To control infection, you can choose penicillin 50,000 units/kg body weight, dexamethasone 0.5 mg/kg body weight, mixed once intramuscularly, 2 times/day. Gentamicin 10,000 units/kg body weight, dexamethasone 0.5 mg/kg body weight, mixed once intramuscularly, 2 times/day.
5. Support therapy. For cats with reduced appetite, glucose and compound saline should be infused intravenously, and oral vitamin B preparations should be given.
6. Give your cat highly nutritious liquid food.
When the disease is cleaned by oral cavity and systemic application of antibiotics and corticosteroids, the clinical symptoms can be significantly improved, and some cats can be cured, but some cats easily relapse after withdrawal and cannot be completely eradicated.
Any further information about cat health problem, please contact us or click here:https://petzoo.net/forums/forum/cat/