Mini Lop rabbit is a typical pet rabbit breed. It is petite and cute, and it is very popular with everyone. Mini lop-eared rabbits, also called dwarf lop-eared rabbits, are not the smallest in the lop-eared rabbit breed, so it is not the most common.
Dwarf lop-eared rabbits, also commonly known as Mini Lop rabbits, small lop-eared rabbits, or American mini lop-eared rabbits, they are developed by the mating of French lop-eared rabbits and standard Chinchilla rabbits, although they are It is called a dwarf lop-eared rabbit, but it is larger than the Dutch lop-eared rabbit and the American Fiss lop-eared rabbit.
Morphological characteristics of Mini Lop
Mini lop rabbit, also known as dwarf lop-eared rabbit, is a certified breed of rabbit. The standard for this kind of rabbit has formed a fixed formula, so you can distinguish it according to the standard when purchasing, and avoid buying some unqualified Or other breeds of rabbits.
The Dwarf lop-eared rabbits described by the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA) are as follows:
- Drooping ears;
- The body length is about 40cm;
- The ratio of the head to the body of the dwarf lop-eared rabbit is 1:3, and the neck is generally invisible;
- Viewed from the side, the forehead slightly protrudes outward, generally forming a 75 degree slope. Nose and mouth protruding from the face;
- The hair of the Mini lop-eared rabbit is about 2-3cm long, the hair is a bit thick, but it is very dense;
- The standard weight of dwarf lop-eared rabbits should be 2.0-3.0 kg. The weight of the participating standard Dutch lop-eared rabbits should not exceed 2.381 kg;
- Color: black, brown, gray blue, butterfly pattern, white, guinea pig color, deer hair color, etc.
The Mini Lop Rabbit is the third smallest lop-eared rabbit breed in the United States and belongs to the medium-sized rabbit species. Holland Lop is the smallest lop-eared rabbit breed in the United States.
Living Environment of Mini Lop Rabbit
Mini Lop rabbits like a dry living environment. At the same time, Mini Lop Rabbit don’t like a stuffy environment. Therefore, first pay attention to the control of environmental temperature and humidity when raising them, and then do a good job of maintenance.
Mini Lop Rabbits are afraid of humidity, like cleaning, and hate dirt. Therefore, in terms of breeding and management, a dry and clean living environment must be created, rabbit cages must be kept dry frequently, and rabbit cages must be scrubbed every week. Feed drinking water and feeding equipment must be kept clean at all times. Dark and humid, dirty air is the main cause of infection in Mini lop rabbits.
Mini lop rabbits have thick fur that can withstand severe cold. Adult rabbits can withstand temperatures below zero, and can be propagated in winter at around 5°C. Mini lop rabbits are very afraid of heat, because their sweat glands are underdeveloped and cannot regulate their body temperature in the form of sweating. Therefore, when the outside air temperature is too high, the Mini lop rabbits often crawl on the ground and use ground conduction to dissipate heat; or increase the number of breaths and use exhalation to bring out heat. The suitable temperature for adult rabbits is 15-25 degC, and for young rabbits it is 30-32 degC.
Mini Lop rabbits like to burrow, and when they are reared, they burrow more frequently before breeding. Therefore, when building a rabbit house, pay attention to this in the design and materials.
Main Points of Raising Mini lop rabbits
The food habits of Mini lop rabbits are the same as those of domestic rabbits. They like to eat a variety of plants, but not all plants are suitable for it. An unreasonable diet is likely to cause diarrhea in Mini lop rabbits and cause diseases and then they will die.
- The staple food of Mini Lop rabbits is hay: The staple grass of Mini Lop rabbit should choose Timothy grass (Timothyhay) or Orchardgrass. Alfalfa should be gradually reduced when rabbits are about to reach adulthood, that is, when they are about 4 to 5 months old, and the proportion of grasses should be increased. Alfalfa stops completely after 6 months of adulthood. The supply of hay and precautions are the same as those of young rabbits.
- Rabbit food is also very important: Choose adult rabbit food for rabbit food, preferably pet rabbit food. It is recommended twice a day. At the beginning, you can give you a handful (girl’s hand) each time. Similarly, if the rabbit eats quickly and appears very hungry, you can increase it. The precautions are the same as that of young rabbits, and will not be repeated.
- Clean drinking water is indispensable: Provide boiled cold water 24 hours a day and change it at least once a day. You can choose a ball drinking fountain to ensure the hygiene of the rabbit cage and ensure the cleanness of the water.
- Vegetables can be used as snacks: Adult rabbits can eat some vegetables to help their intestines maintain water and supplement vitamins. Please also supply vegetables in moderation.