Often eating too much or too little is an abnormal phenomenon. In our opinion, it’s easy to check whether the dog’s appetite is normal. As long as we look at how much or how little the dog eats, we can judge whether the dog’s appetite is normal. However, even if there is an appetite problem, it can be divided into several situations. Different situations may be caused by different problems, and we need to treat them differently.
1. Anorexia is usually manifested as unwillingness to eat or a decrease in the amount of food eaten, which is a common manifestation of many diseases. It is more common in stomatitis, dental diseases, gastrointestinal diseases and so on. In addition, the problem often occurs in heat diseases, metabolic disorders, painful diseases, chronic heart failure, vitamin B deficiency and so on.
2. Loss of appetite: This situation shows complete refusal to eat, long-term refusal to eat indicates that the situation is quite serious. It is common in all kinds of high fever diseases, acute pain diseases, toxic diseases, acute gastrointestinal diseases, such as intestinal obstruction and so on.
3. Uncertainty of appetite: It is manifested as good or bad appetite, changeable, more common in chronic dyspepsia and other problems.
4. Appetite hyperactivity: It shows abnormal appetite and high intake. It is common in the recovery period of serious diseases, intestinal parasite infection, metabolic disorders (such as diabetes), endocrine diseases (such as hyperthyroidism), functional diarrhea, etc. In spite of the increase of intake, dogs may suffer from malnutrition and gradually lose weight.
5. Different food: Different food is another abnormal performance of appetite disturbance, which is characterized by dogs like to eat other substances or foreign matters besides dog food, such as pet pictures, wood, feces, coat, rags, garbage bags, dirt, etc. Heterotrophic eating is common in young dogs, most of which are the precursor of nutritional metabolism disorders and mineral, vitamin and trace element deficiency diseases, such as chondropathy, rickets, vitamin deficiency, anemia, etc. In addition, chronic gastric catarrh, mental disorder of encephalopathy and intestinal parasites can cause dogs to eat different foods. Even a simple appetite problem can be divided into many situations, so it is not only to see whether the dog eats or not, but also to judge which situation is, and then deal with it accordingly.